I recently decided to take a break from wheat which has been challenging, but I’ve done it before for short periods. I don’t plan on giving it up permanently, because so many baked goods that I love are better with it! Anyway, so I’ve started to dabble a bit with wheat-free baking. (I’m not concerned with my food being entirely or strictly gluten-free, so to avoid misleading anyone, I’ll just say the following muffin recipe is wheat-free.)
Last week I made a super-healthy carrot spice muffin that was wheat free, but I was the only one in the family who was willing to eat them after the first try. They relied heavily on almond flour, and were lightly sweetened with honey and raisins, so it wasn’t too surprising that they were a little on the dry and crumbly side. But I kind of appreciated that I could eat one with an egg or yogurt for breakfast, and not feel totally deprived of my baked goods (or, you know, guilty).
So, today I decided to try another wheat-free muffin recipe. We bought some more wheat flour alternatives the other day — buckwheat flour, brown rice flour, etc., so I was curious to see how they perform.
(Yield: 12 muffins)
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups very ripe bananas (the riper the better!)
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup millet flour
- 1/8 cup ground flax seed
- 1/8 cup almond flour or meal
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease or line your muffin pan.
- Whisk the eggs, melted butter, vanilla, sugar, buttermilk, and mashed bananas together in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, blend together all of the dry ingredients, including the chopped nuts.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and mix just until all the flours are incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and bake for about 25 mins., or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.