It was cool, gray, and raining all day, so when I found some mangoes on Saturday, I decided we needed to make black sticky rice with coconut cream and mango, because what could be more comforting?!
For some reason, its been several years since we made sticky rice at home, but a day mostly spent at home provided the perfect opportunity. The rice has to soak for hours before you can cook it, so you could start the process in the morning, or the night before, depending on when you want to enjoy it.
You don’t have to use black rice, but you do need to purchase sticky or glutinous rice. I like the black rice because it has a slightly nutty flavor and turns a pretty purple when cooked. It still has its outer bran layer, like brown rice, so it’s also a lot more nutritious than white rice. If you have the opportunity to visit an Asian grocery, I recommend doing all of your shopping there for this recipe. Standard groceries seem to charge 2-3x as much as the Asian groceries or even Trader Joe’s for coconut milk or coconut cream.
(Yield: about 8 servings)
- 1 1/2 cups black rice
- 14 oz. can of coconut cream
- scant 1 cup of sugar
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- sliced or cubed mango (I used 1 mango for every 3 servings)
- Pour the rice in a medium sized bowl and cover with water by 1 to 2 inches. Soak for at least 3 hours, or up to 12 hours.
- Drain the water off and place the rice in a medium sized pot. Measure 5 cups of water and add to the pot.
- Bring the rice to a boil, then turn down to a gentle boil and cook for another 30 minutes. If the water seems to be cooking off too quickly, you can add a bit more as needed. Decrease the heat to low and cook about 10 more minutes.
- While the rice is in its last leg of cooking, open the can of coconut cream and pour it into a large sauce pan. Add the sugar and salt and stir. Cook gently for a few minutes until the sugar has dissolved and then turn off.
- Turn off the rice and stir in half of the coconut cream mixture. Set aside the offer half. Cover the pot of rice and let stand about 30 mins.
- Scoop about a half cup of rice onto a plate, drizzle additional coconut cream on top, and top with mango.